Monday, September 29, 2008

"Your Mama Loves You" Lasagna

This is the best lasagna in the world, I swear. You all have to try it and let me know what you think. No more Stauffer's frozen lasagnas... they taste like spaghettiOs to me now! It's the Apple Blossom Reception Center's recipe. They cater weddings and such. 


"Your Mama Loves You" Lasagna

1 pound Italian sausage (they use Colosimos, but I just use what's available)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 1-pound cans diced tomatoes (I love using the italian style)
2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
1 cup water
2 eggs
3 cups cream-style small curd cottage cheese (a 24 oz. container)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
10 ounces lasagna noodles (I use the oven-ready ones you don't have to boil and it saves tons of time!)
1 pound Mozzarella cheese, sliced very thin (I slice it with my Kitchen Aid attachment, but I think shredded would work okay)

Brown meat slowly; drain off excess fat. Add next 6 ingredients. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes; stir often. Beat eggs in a medium bowl; add remaining ingredients, except noodles and mozzarella.

Separately cook noodles in boiling water until tender; drain; rinse. (Unless using oven-ready noodles, of course!)

Layer half the noodles in 13x9x2-inch baking dish; spread with half the cottage cheese filling; add half the mozzarella cheese and half the meat sauce. Repeat. Top with parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes (or assemble early and refrigerate; bake 45 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8-10.

No comments: